Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A visit from Mom

Mom came for thanksgiving week and we did a lot of stuff. We had a nice visit from Patty Clement on Saturday and then sunday we went to Pike's Place Market.
 Here is a picture of Post Alley near the market...
...and the wall of gum in Post Alley. YUM. I'm sticking my tongue out in this picture, but you can't tell because apparently my tongue is gum-colored.
We also stopped at this adorable Crumpet Shop near the market.
 Making our crumpets!
 I approve of the decor. Actually, I'm not going to lie, we went in because of the decor.
 Crumpet with gooseberry jam!
Mom took this picture of me in my hat nono made for me!

SNOW!
When I woke up to the grumbling of the garbage truck early monday morning (and the realization that I forgot to put out the garbage) I ran outside to discover that it had snowed! This is my apt in the snow.

And the view from our front yard

 Here is "Dick's," a nearby fast food seattle staple, in the snow. It looks nice, but if you saw the video below, you know how much havoc it caused!

The Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwich
a black friday tradition
-Cover one piece of bread with leftover turkey
-layer on some stuffing/dressing
-smother that in gravy
*microwave until hot*
-then add cranberry sauce/relish and other piece of bread
TA DA!
Easy peasy and possibly better than thanksgiving dinner itself!


Mom made us New Mexican food one night including her yummy enchiladas:
Mom's Enchiladas
Here is the recipe:
Red Chili Cheese and Green Onion Enchiladas
2 T corn or canola oil
1 large clove garlic pressed and cooked for a few minute  in the oil
Add 1 T flour to oil and garlic. Brown until golden
Add 5 T ground red chili--heat for a few seconds until dark.
Add 2 cups water
Add 1 small can tomato sauce
Add 1 tsp ground cumin and a
Pinch sugar
Heat --may need to add more water--it should be a little thinner than tomato sauce

Spoon chili into bottom of 9x13 pan-enough to barely cover the bottom
Dip tortillas into chili to coat them--place 6 in the bottom of the pan.
Sprinkle cheese and 1/3 a bunch of green onions chopped fine over tortillas.
Repeat for two more layers of tortillas--covering the last layer with cheese and onion
Cover with foil
Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes.


Action Shot!


 She also made Piccadillo. yummmmmmm...

We got lattes as well that day and look at the beautiful latte art!

2 comments:

  1. The enchilada recipe--its add 2 Cups WATER not oil. It was a very fun visit! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! Glad Gay wrote....my copy of her enchilada recipe says 2 cups of water. For a minute there I was thinking "yuck."
    They ones I remember are delicious!

    Great pictures. Now I have to find out what a crumpet is.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete