Thursday, June 2, 2011

On turning 24

Today is my birthday! Yay! Trying not to think about being in my mid-twenties, which to some of you may seem very young, but I feel that time is passing terrifyingly quickly! I guess it will only get worse, so might as well embrace it.
While 24 is not a huge milestone birthday for anything, it actually has some special significance for me. Back when I was a freshman in high school and first started studying modern dance at Community, my teacher, Deborah Sipos-Roe told me that it takes 10 years to make a dancer. This was something Martha Graham (the mother of modern dance) had said. I told her I had been taking ballet class since I was three so...dancer! She said "No. 10 years of thinking about, and doing, and dedicating your life to dance everyday."  So since then I have cringed just a little bit every time someone called me a dancer and hesitated at calling myself one, because I knew I was only a student of dance. The day my teacher told me this I remember thinking, "That means I will not be a dancer until I am 24!!! Thats SO old!!!" But here I am. 24. So I can say I have spent every day of 10 years aiming myself at becoming a dancer, and now I can say that I am one. Also, in support of this fact, I recently received my first pay check for dancing. So not just a dancer, but a professional one, and I love my job!

1 comment:

  1. Over the moon happy for you!! And wishing you another 10 years (and more) of doing what you love.

    ReplyDelete