Friday, November 9, 2012

Passages

I received news this morning that my step-grandmother, Barb, had passed. Barb, or "Babci"as she was called by her grandchildren, was kind-hearted and will be missed by our family. She was probably the best card-sender I will ever meet. She never missed a birthday, or christmas, or halloween, or Easter for that matter! She knew how special getting a note from someone in the mail is, and I have often aspired to become better at sending cards because of her...I go through spells, but somehow it's a habit that is hard to maintain, which just goes to show you, that she must have been thinking of others all the time. She also led an accomplished life. She ran her own business and served in the armed forces at a time when I imagine it was quite unusual to be a woman in the military. I always thought that was really admirable. Of course her greatest accomplishment of all was having the courage and love to adopt my then three-year-old step-mother, and raise her to be the woman we all love and cherish today. Carolyn--your mother will be missed, but her legacy of kindness lives on in you and all the people she touched.

Of course this morning's news hits closest to home, but there have been several other deaths in the past few months that have weighed heavily on my heart. Just recently, Lindsay's grandfather passed. I did not know him, but I know Lindsay is very close to her grandparents, as I am, and I have the greatest empathy for her and her family.

My high school dance teacher, Deborah, also passed recently. I don't know the details, but she had been battling with brain cancer a few years ago, and I imagine her death was connected to that. She was always very fit and healthy, and it is sad to see her go before her time, especially because I know she has a teenage son. She ran Dance Body and I worked with her every school day for four years. Dance body gave me the opportunity to choreograph and study modern dance years before college. I have no doubt that she was instrumental in my pursuing of modern dance, and helping me believe it was possible.

Earlier that week I also learned that a server who worked at the adjoining restaurant to Plum had been killed in a skateboarding/motor vehicle accident. We were more acquaintances than friends, but he was close to a few of my co-workers, and someone who always seemed to be around. It is always particularly unnerving when a peer dies, as it is so unexpected and violent. It reminds me of my own mortality, not to take for granted any of my loved ones, and that each day is precious. We are fragile beings and lives can change in an instant. I feel sympathy for the family of Stephan, but also for the driver of the motor vehicle, who's life has surely changed a great deal. Even if they made a mistake, they do not deserve the burden that they now undoubtedly carry.

It is times like these when I wish I had some religious rhetoric to lean on. To say that the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. That they are in a better place or something of that nature. But, as a non-religious person, I would feel like a hypocrite. So I can only say, This is the way of things. And as often is the case with "the way of things," there is circularity. There is balance. It is with that in mind that I am overjoyed to hear of a new (very little) life:


Little Anden was born this week to Rachel and Scott Hubbinger, who over the past few years have become very dear friends to my grandparents, Nono and Gdad, and to our family. Rachel has been a caretaker to Nono, a big help to Gdad, and has gone above and beyond the call of duty. I am so excited for her family, and hope for them the best of health, luck, and fortune in life. They certainly deserve it.

Hopefully the next post will be lighter. Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment