Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Here's what's new

uh...sorry it's been two months. Here's what's new:
I have laryngitis and probably a sinus infection following a bad cold. Last week I returned from touring with Khambatta, which was a whirlwind following our performance in Kirkland. All in all it went as best as can be expected--some technical problems and lots of everything running behind schedule, (Heya, still setting light cues 30 minutes before the show!) but nothing disastrous.
Cyrus has started working on a few new pieces to present in June and I am in full swing rehearsing for three pieces for Full Tilt (that's a concert) in May. So that's happening.
In addition I've started writing reviews for the blog Seattle Dances, and you can check out my first review here: http://seattledances.blogspot.com/2012/03/boost-weekend-2-be-part-of-fury-yes.html
Writing reviews is definitely a challenge--word count, the right amount of positive, the right amount of negative. And tact. I am not supposed to editorialize at all, which is really what I want to do, but it's a start.
Nathan and I went to see the Hunger Games movie last night, which was fun, but I really don't understand where all the reviews I've read are coming from--where lovers of the book are really liking the movie. First of all, the book is not that amazing. Pulpy, addictive, and fun? Yes. The second coming? No. I did like many things about the book and I didn't think those were the things they chose to feature in the film. Let's just say I would have made a LOT of different directorial decisions. Then I think, Kaitlin, these people are PROS, you know virtually nothing about film-making, why do you think you know better? That's pretty arrogant. But maybe the problem with films is that there are too many people involved in making a film, each with their own priorities, and so the vision of the film loses focus. I don't know. All I know is that seeing Rue jump between trees would have been wicked awesome, and that wasn't even mentioned. Opportunity lost.
What else...my house is messy because I've been sick and so I am tired and lose focus really easily and tend just to dump my stuff when I get in the house and fall face first into bed. I read about this cleaning concept on Nice Girl Notes, which is that you pick a room and put the kitchen timer on for 15 minutes and all you do is pick up that room and don't dive into organizing or stop to check your email or evaluate whether or not you need that alumnae magazine by reading the whole thing. Just putting things back where they belong. Then you do 15 minutes in another room, etc. When you get back to your original room you can move on to more "cleaning" tasks like sweeping, vacuuming, dusting, etc. Fair disclosure: I've never actually done this whole sequence in its entirety, but when say, I have 20 minutes until I have to leave for rehearsal, it helps me use my time more efficiently if I set the kitchen timer, and have a small task to do. Anyways, thought I'd pass that along. Nathan, please don't read this and come home expecting the whole house to be clean. I'm still sick *cough cough* and will probably use that to justify my laziness as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment